Friday, July 26, 2013

Still in Medford, OR

One more day in hot, hot Medford, OR. It doesn't seem to cool down much here in the evenings. It's 9:30am and I already feel like I need another shower. It's not humid. It's just dry, dry, dry. My skin is dry - which always makes me feel like I have grandma hands. My eyes are dry - which makes me worried that people think I've been smoking. The only things that aren't dry are my armpits. They're doing fine.
So, last night was a bachelorette party for my childhood friend, Chelsea. I went with my best friend, Rachel, to go pick up some "items" for her gift before the dinner. It was so nice to have time with Rachel. Since my moving away and her having a baby, there isn't much opportunity to get together anymore.
At one point in the evening, we ended up having a great conversation about friendship. We talked about how we have both learned that it is hard to invest in the number of people we used to before marriage. It takes a lot of time and effort to have real, deep connection with someone. That doesn't mean that we don't want to show love to everyone we know and meet - it means we are learning that it is ok to set boundaries with our time. I simply don't have time to cultivate the relationships that are meaningful with so many people anymore. It is sad to see that happen with friends from growing up, but it is also healthy and good. Otherwise, we would all just have surface interactions with everyone in our lives!
Looking around the dinner table for Chelsea's bachelorette, I was grateful to see a lot of those girls and have a moment to catch up. Many of them I've know for years and years and now are married or have babies - I don't like that feeling of not being a part of their lives anymore, moving across the country. But I know and trust that there is a time for everything. A time to laugh, a time to cry...a time for certain friendships and a time for others. I think of all the wonderful ladies and couples that Alex and I get to be on this church plant team with and I smile. So many authentic, wonderful, real people that we get to do life with.
Transitions are always hard - but I know I shouldn't fret because "it's gon be...ok" (oh you gotta love bad acting). soap opera acting