Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 6 - South Dakota/Iowa/Missouri

They say there is a first time for everything. I didn't think I would ever experience a first time of cooking a scramble for lunch on the side of the road in Iowa. I have to admit, however, it was one of the best cowboy scrambles I've ever had. 
I had to wash the dishes in the bathroom but it was a cheap meal with supplies we already had. I'm pretty good at being poor now. 

We started driving pretty early so it was nice to have a little picnic time. 
We drove and drove and drove until we couldn't drive any longer. So Day 6 held another first for me. It was my first time sleeping overnight at a rest stop. Alex strung together some towels and made curtains for the back of the car. We rolled out our sleeping pad and slept the appropriate 8 hours before getting up with the sun to start driving again. 

We're both starting to go a little stir crazy from all the driving...we've run out of driving games and have listened to all of our CDs multiple times. Thankfully, there have been no major fights, although, I get a little snappy if Alex tries to ask me anything before I've had my coffee. 

It's getting more and more like the scenery I expect to be surrounded by in Raleigh - lots of dense wooded areas broken up by field or muddy rivers. No mountains. 

During the endless driving, one of the conversations we had was about how the Proverb we read that day mentioned: "Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice. (Proverbs 16:8 NIV)" - and though we only have a little, we wouldn't trade it for the ability to afford more materialistic things. We are tight financially, but we are so content with our life. This adventure is worth what little we have. 

We continue on towards Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky - let's see what treasures await in Day 7! 

No comments:

Post a Comment