Monday, August 12, 2013

The first leg - California

Well it's official! I've been to my first professional sporting event. The first evening Alex and I arrived in So Cal  we got to go see the Angel's play at the Angel's Stadium in Anaheim. I, of course, had hardly any idea what was going on - but it was thrilling nonetheless. Our seats were in a perfect spot for a view of the field and I could look out at the city lights. It was beautiful. I watched families cheer for their team, men dance like fools and couples enjoying date night at the ball park. We drank overpriced beer. We ate peanuts. We sang all the traditional songs..."buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks...I don't care if I ever get back"...The whole evening was so american, so very american, and I mean that in the best way. The only bummer of the evening: they lost. Wah wah wah...se la vie. I'd still buy an Angel's T-shirt. I didn't. But I would have if we weren't on such a tight moving budget.

We've been in California, not only to say goodbye before the move to Raleigh, but also for Alex's sister Natalie's wedding. The big surprise at the wedding was that only a handful of people knew that Alex was officiating it! So when we arrived at the cruise boat in San Diego everyone was asking me where Alex was (he was in the office on the boat prepping for the ceremony). Unfortunately, I'm a TERRIBLE liar. Auntie Gloria asked me outright if Alex was doing the ceremony and I was like "uh...ummm...I don't know?" As I walked away I was thinking to myself, I don't know?? Shouldn't I know if my own husband is performing our sister's wedding?! Geez Zoe. Smooth.

The wedding was gorgeous! I've never been to a wedding in a harbor before. The only concern I had was the whole "what if the boat sinks" factor, or the kids falling overboard, or big waves swelling up, or... Anyways, aside from my paranoia, the whole evening was delightful. Alex did a great job being the minister. He dealt with the speakers glitching and our nephew walking up to him asking if he could play with the microphone. And all his unmarried family members want him to marry them now.

The best part of the evening was that I got to meet cousin Amber. She is married to Alex's cousin Tonio. She's another ginger. So I don't stick out so much in the family crowd now! Tonio said that when he first saw me on the boat, he thought I was some white girl who got on the wrong boat (if you didn't know this, Alex's whole family is Hispanic). Once he met me and realized I am Alex's wife he said "oh good, now you and Amber can hang out. You gingers have to stick together, you're a dying breed you know." Ha! Seriously though, you should see it...I really stand out. Really. I'm 5'10'', red hair, freckles, scrawny...yeah...you can spot me instantly. Every time we take family photos I want to sing "one of these things is not like the others..."

It's been really great having time with Alex's family before we go. Neither of us have been working this week either so we've had time to line up all our campsites for the 10-day journey across the U.S. starting the 14th. All the planning is soon going to pay off. I'm so excited to actually start heading across to meet up with our other team members for the church plant. Our first service is just weeks away! Oh here's a link for Emmaus - A Jesus Church for you to check out and pass on to any friends you might have out in the Raleigh area.

Tonight we are just hanging out at Alex's parent's house. We have our nephew, Noah, staying here as well while his parents are on their honeymoon (Natalie and Hiram who just got married). This little tyke is quite the handful! He has more energy than...well...I don't know what! He's 4-years-old and never stops moving! My favorite thing about being around him though, is how much he looks identical to Alex at that age. It's uncanny. People think Noah is Alex's son because he looks so much like him. Cute, cute kid.

Phew! I'm all tuckered out from swimming with Noah and playing with transformers. I think it's time for me to finish my cookie dough ice cream and watch James Bond with my hubby :)