Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 9 - Kentucky/Tennessee/North Carolina

Oh me, oh my, I can't believe my eyes...yes, yes it is! There's the promised land! We made it! We crossed the North Carolina border in the early afternoon after driving through our last time zone change in TN. As we drove, I looked all around and saw trees, trees, and more trees. I also saw hills (I mean, even after we crossed the Great Smoky Mountains). All our fellow church planters that moved out before us told us it was a flat land...they may have exaggerated a bit. Sure, there aren't looming mountains in your view, but there sure are hills big enough to wind you on a commuter bike (which is how Alex will be getting to work every day). 

We filled up our gas tank one more time (and prayed for God to help it last until work starts replenishing our account) and pulled into the apartment complex just as the sun was setting. Driving through the neighborhood that will be our home for at least the next year was so surreal. I felt a sense of belonging and pride filling my chest. God has definitely given me a heart for this city. He has also given me a heart that appreciates a hot shower - which I was very much looking forward too once we unloaded a few things. 

We got out of the car and I was so giddy to see our new home. I did a little jig in the parking lot, clapping my hands, singing "we're going to have a dishwasher, and a disposal, and a full sized fridge!" Alex walked us down the stairs to our front door, he said the landlord had left a spare key for us above the door (it's not there anymore so don't come try to break in to my house). Alex slid his hand along the top but didn't find the key. So he tried again...*SWISH*...the key slipped off the door frame and fell (perfectly) through the slats in the deck we stood on! Dead silence. Staring at the floorboards. We looked up at each other - then just busted up laughing! "That's going in the blog!" I said. 

Alex went to the car and grabbed one of our flashlights. We walked down around to where there is a crawl space under the deck towards where the key was dropped into the mulch below. Alex took a stick with him to clear out the spider webs and bear-crawled his way to where our key was. He had to look a bit but was successful in the end. Phew! 

We definitely needed showers after that! But, what's this? No shower curtain? No problem! 
My husband is a very good problem solver. Either that or he's really good at pretending he lives in the ghetto...he is from So Cal after all. 

It's always good to be able to find humor in every situation. Even without a shower curtain, we were able to make light of it and enjoy a luxuriously warm rinse. 

Our journey is almost complete. We still have to unpack and return the uHaul (which I'm sure Franco is stoked about), we need to get all the details sorted out with switching all the apartment services to our name, and we need to get a lay of the land! Tomorrow is our first day in our new home and our new homeland - I wonder what stories await us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment