Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 7 - Missouri/Illinois/Indiana/Kentucky

After waking up at a rest stop, we continued on to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. It was so nice to make it to a destination before dark! We actually had time to cook up some grub and set up the tent in daylight. 
Getting to Kentucky took us through a few states. We saw the world's largest McDonald's...
Well, ok, the St. Louis Arch. 

We crossed borders...
The drive was so green. I know it's crazy humid but it sure does keep everything looking nice. We are also experiencing more southern accents. It's very hard for me not to mimic them.

There were threats of thunder storms at Mammoth Cave but luckily they passed over us on our way there.
I've always loved when it dumps super hard but then abruptly let's up just 5 minutes later. It reminds me of monsoon season in Nepal from back when I visited there. 

Other than a few showers, it was smooth sailing. After our initial arrival and camp set-up we made a delicious treat. 
These were Alex's idea: peanut butter and Nutella s'mores! They were so good! I can't believe I've never thought of them before. I think they are going to become our new tradition. 

We picked up some better bug repellent and I wore plenty of layers this time...no more itchy bites for me!
The campfire helped keep the bugs away too. I purposefully made it extra smokey...ok maybe not on purpose...I'm just not that good at building fires...

It was a nice relaxing evening. We watched the blinking fireflies and enjoyed the (slightly) cooler air. 
We are so excited to do some spelunking tomorrow and check out these caverns...hopefully it won't turn into a Tom Sawyer story and we'll be lost in the caves with nothing but a lantern...we'll see! 


No comments:

Post a Comment